General discussion of OpenCATS

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but keep comments directed to the topic at hand.

New Website to reflect Open Source project?

OpenCATS
62%
OpenCandidates
No votes
0%
FreeATS
8%
OpenTracker
No votes
0%
RATS (Recruiter Applicant Tracking System)
No votes
0%
RecruitXS
8%
ARS (Automated Recruiting System)...funny one though....like...did you check your ars yet :D
No votes
0%
ResTrackS
No votes
0%
CVbase
No votes
0%
OSATS
23%
After much consideration (well almost five minutes) It's clear that perhaps it's best to have a clear distinction between the CATS Parent company and this project to continue the Open Source project they began. Therefore I've created a poll for a new project name - any additional ones that you want included - just PM me.
By asimbaig
Great idea Russ. If I may suggest, please add a new field if possible for "new" names. I suppose people could suggest names in response to this post too.

Here's another one. OSATS (rolls off the tongue nicely tool). Its important to have an easily pronounceable name.When working in a team, one has to constantly say:

- look up in osats/opencats/freeats
- Add that to osats/opencats/freeats
- Did you check osats/opencats/freeats?
- Search osats/opencats/freeats?
- osats/opencats/freeats is slow today, does anyone know why?

Last I checked http://www.osats.co.uk is still available.

Cheers,

Asim
952-232-0880 x101
asim@catsone.com
Here are a mind dump on the fly;

RATS (Recruiter Applicant Tracking System)

RecruitXS

ARS (Automated Recruiting System)...funny one though....like...did you check your ars yet :D

ResTrackS

CVbase

I need some beer and come back later...
Damn - just added the additional options, and it's reset the poll. No PM's to suggest further names right now.

When I added the names, the score was;

OpenCATS - 2 votes
FreeATS - 1 vote
I've voted for OpenCATS (and I note that Russ has already registered opencats.org, which helps), simply because I think maintaining a link with the past is important, not least because it continues to recognise the immeasurably immense contribution of the original code by Cognizo.

That said, if the General Will (TM Jean-Jacques Rousseu) is that a new name should be chosen, I agree entirely with Asim that "speakability" is important, otherwise it is a disincentive to use. Although I'm sure no CATS code would ever be "running slowly today" - it is too lean for that!

So, to some suggested names, off the top of my head... I don't claim all (or indeed any) of them are any good, but they might at least spark somebody else off in the right direction...

ARTS - Applicant Recruitment and Tracking System, or just ART

DOGS - hopefully not a sign of relations with Cognizo, but nonetheless there for ausement, and Mac users will understand the idea of a dog as a visual metaphor for a search application... doesn't stand for much, although I used to use a CAD systems called Design Office Graphics System. But "The Dogs" has some connotations, certainly for the UK contingent. Domains might be tricky, but, just for info, dogsproject.com or thedogsproject.com is available. Come to think of it, thecatsproject.com is available, too...

Abaction - an old English word to describe "the stealing of whole herds of cattle, as contrasted with a few head" - quite apt for the headhunting game, at least. I used to have a headhunting business called Abaction, but it was a lot of years ago and I won't claim any rights :)

Felus - the genus name for the cat family. Helpfully, felus.net, for instance, is available.

ReCATS - Recruitment Candidate Application Tracking System or somesuch, also a play on the idea that the OS version could evolve into "CATS Reloaded" as it were. Again, recats.net is available, for instance.

Captcha - has some interesting connotations, and could be made to stand for something - CAts ProjecT something or other

If one stops worrying too much about domains (after all, Cognizo are offering this is ASP, this doesn't have to be as catchy a URL - thewhatsitproject.org is fine for now), then things can get a bit more free-form. So, in that vein...

ReNew - the new recruitment software (and other obvious connotations)

If one goes for the SAP approach to naming, I suppose just CPL could work - if anyone asks, it stands for Cats Protection League...

To take a reference from a film, RePet could be interesting, although the idea of cloning candidates isn't always appealing. But that could get you ReCATS (recats.org...)

Extending another idea, MARS - for Mainly Automated Recruitment System or somesuch - might work. Or even CARS (Cats-based Advanced Recruitment System or whatever).

I'd suggest Pears (pairs, putting candidates and clients together, etc... and a nod at Apple), but there's already a piece of recruitment software called Pears (well I think they've rebranded to IQX nowadays). In that vein, however, I suppose CUPPELS (as in couples) might work, and you could even have cuppels.com?

Right now there's a trend for "psuedo-element" names like Xenium and so on, particularly in IT or cosmetics & healthcare. So how about CATIUM? Catium.org is free... Or HIREUM (hire 'em)? "Powered by Catium" or somesuch could work :)

If one views the SaaS CATS as the "big brother" to the OS project, Kitten or Kittens could be a possibility.

Anyhow, enough brain-dumping for one session. Perhaps this will stimulate some further thoughts from others?
just wanted to add that I've registered http://OpenCATS.org to prevent any 'camping' - just in case. I thought that was the most likely name - and didn't want to find someone had gone out there and snapped it up! If It's not chosen, I'll redirect it to the final site. For the moment, I've posted the obligatory web 2.0 logo..

I guess for a true web 2.0 site I should have added
'Coming soon... we're in a closed beta phase, sign up here to be notified of our launch'

:-)

Anyway - the Poll only accommodates 10 options, so I'll just keep an eye on this thread and see what the consensus is. If it gets narrowed down to a few options, feel free to post a new poll yourselves - I'll be away on holiday... and for once I intend to leave my internet access behind!

skwdenyer's posted allot of great ideas - so I expect a long thread by the time I get back :-)
Jos wrote:Russ,

Closing the poll after 30 days ?

So far OpenCats looks like it is going to be.

Okay - I'm going to close the poll this evening - I think there could have been a great deal of discussion and debate on the various ideas that you all came up with - but thankfully (!) it's stayed simple and the one that I happen to already have is the winner! If there's a great name out there that's just waiting for you to tell us all about - you have a few hours left!

I plan on porting the forums over there this weekend, and will sort out trac / svn / a wiki etc...

Then it'll be down to us all to contribute to taking the Open Source version forward!

Once that's done, I'll redirect this site to the new domain. If anyone out there has more time to spend on a better looking layout for the static pages of the site - please get in touch - I think the front page took me 10 minutes (and it shows)!

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]

Export part in Job Order order search

Same problem as mine. Maybe you're right, I'll che[…]

The error message you're encountering indicates th[…]

Errors restoring mysqldump backup

doesnot work for me