General discussion of OpenCATS

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but keep comments directed to the topic at hand.
By akandels
Due to several requests from the community and further internal discussion within the CATS team, we we are toying with the idea of resuming the CATS open source community site as follows:

1) http://www.catsone.org would be the new official home for the CATS Open Source project.
2) The old forums would be restored on this site.
3) The official download links would be made available sans license key requirements or Professional links (a version which is no longer available) and ALL support numbers and email addresses to Cognizo removed. Possibly a cleaned up 0.9.2 release.
4) Cognizo would give SVN read/conditional write access to interested developers looking to contribute to the project.
5) Code contributions would be made solely to the open source project. Updates would not be made from the SaaS hosted version to the open source project or vice versa -- as of today, the two versions are virtually incompatible anyway as the hosted version is far more developed.

We would encourage the open source community to step up and contribute to this project from an official site. We would provide all of the facilities to do so.

Please let us know if this was something the community would like to see. I should note this does not mean we would continue development with open source, any future updates would need to be performed by interested third parties and on the release schedules of those who volunteer to moderate the community effort.
By cptr13
Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the license key anyway? Does it help track usage?
By skwdenyer
Personally I would be a little wary of this, only because the forums have been pulled once and there is no guarantee of continuity. The advantage of this site (catsone.co.uk) is that it is independent of those potential problems.

I'd be happiest, to be honest, putting the current open-source CATS releases onto Sourceforge, hosting this site on Sourceforge, and then having Cognizo link to this site from theirs. However that will require a name change, as CATS is currently registered on SourceForge by asim (albeit with only v0.5 available to download).

However, as ever, I'll bow to the will of the community. But right now I don't see a great deal of advantage in having control for who can/cannot commit code in Cognizo's hands.
By skwdenyer
Actually, I'm going to strengthen my position on this one. I don't think I want to invest time and effort contributing to a project which still has asim as the ultimate keyholder. Forums and so on hosted on catsone.org as suggested would, for instance:

* allow Cognizo to moderate / remove forum posts as they see fit (potentially hampering the free flow of ideas, especially if those took the project away from CPL-covered code)
* allow Cognizo to control access to CVS/SVN, with similar potential issues

After some of Asim's contributions on these forums, it is unclear if he even understands the CPL as written. It is hard to have faith in that same cognitive process being ultimately responsible for the collected output of the community, especially as Cognizo seem to have broadly disavowed interest in the open source project.

It does all sound a little like stable door closing. I vote we push on with this site, a new name (even if OpenCATS and clearly linked back to CATS), and so on. If Cognizo would like to contribute to that, I would welcome it. But control it? Hmm, those bridges will need rebuilding first, I fear.
By RussH
I understand - I'd love to be able to use catsone.org... but yes, with 'our' ownership rather than the .com guys. If they're open to it, then it'd be a good site to carry on with.

Otherwise - the Poll looks like it's OpenCATS in the lead (and it has that funky logo, too)!
By alexukie
Asim,

It would be nice if you can give Russ your latest polished 0.9.2 sans license as well as Catsone.org domain name as well as email list of old members on the old forums. We would love that a lot.

Thanks,
Alex
By skwdenyer
Having thought about this a little more, I wanted first to apologise to Asim et al for what might be seen as the tone of my earlier postings on this thread.

Here is the situation as I see it. There was a community, even not an especially code-contributing one. That community was shut down, in the sense that the forums were closed and public statements were made "moving on" from open source. There would therefore be a little concern that this might happen again. And there is, of course, the danger of any private company closing, or being sold, or whatever resulting in the loss of whatever contibutions and so on have been made.

However I'm sure we would all welcome the involvement, in whatever form, of Cognizo, if for no other reason than that they continue to reap any benefits accruing to them commercially from their generosity in opening the code in the first place.

Therefore how about a compromise position? Let Cognizo operate catsone.org if they would like to do that, but host the code repository, forums and so on elsewhere? This allows Cognizo to control the presentation of the project, especially from a historical perspective, and ensure that there are "established positions" (for want of a better term) clearly stated. Since the content of the target site would be Cognizo-controlled, it might also allow Cognizo to feel comfortable again linking the open source project to the commercial hosted service, which would preserve what I think is the important historical context of CATS' development (good or bad from Cognizo's point of view).

There is already a SourceForge project for CATS, for instance, although I'm personally no fan of the SF tools as regards, for instance, forums. Perhaps there are other options (*forge, as it were)?

Just a thought. As I've stated elsewhere, I think bridge-building is important on all sides, and in the wider sense I'd prefer it if Asim et al didn't just end up with a bitter taste in their mouths as regards their bold and brave open source experiment.

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]

Export part in Job Order order search

Same problem as mine. Maybe you're right, I'll che[…]

The error message you're encountering indicates th[…]

Errors restoring mysqldump backup

doesnot work for me