General discussion of OpenCATS

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but keep comments directed to the topic at hand.
Hi everyone. I am working on putting documentation together for OpenCATS. I could use help from anyone that simply wants to review what is being put together.

Bear in mind, the overall Documentation is a jumbled mess right now, but it will come together nicely as I work on it.

Here's what I need help with specifically so far:
  • Any technical errors at all. I am not a technical person, so if there are commands, permissions or anything else incorrect, please let me know here.
    Any tips to add to increase security?
    Any outdated software or broken links?
    What php extensions need to be installed? I think php-mysql, php-soap and php-md, but I'm not sure?
    Obviously and spelling, grammer or formatting errors that you notice.
I have updated a few pages on the GIThub wiki and have the documentation hosted at:
http://opencats-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Lastly, if anyone other than Russ has put any work into past documentation and needs there name listed, let me know.

Thanks!!
Thanks! I will continue on it when I'm able (swamped at the moment), but specific feedback, technical or not, would be greatly appreciated. I've already caught a lot of things that need correcting in the installation areas...
Hi friends,

I m new to the software world but was impressed how the open source community works.

I have installed XAMPP in d: and have followed thru the instructions. I am not able to understand where i should install opencats .
" Download and install XAMPP to c:xampp by following the directions provided on the XAMPP website. Very easy.
Download the OpenCats Resume Indexing Tools. Run the executable and accept the default install locations.
Optionally download 7Zip and install. This will allow you to extract the tar ball and gz files later. If you already have an extractor then you may skip this step.
Now you are ready to get OpenCats Download OpenCATS.9.1a
Open tarball (cats-0.9.1.tar.gz) using 7Zip and extract all files to C:xampphtdocsopencats Verify that there is a readme.txt file in the directory C:xampphtdocsopencats. If so you got it right :) "

i have extracted the opencats files to D:xampp/htdocs/

but still i am unable to find the landing page

http://localhost/opencats

Can anyone help ?

regards
Guru
By RussH
knguruprasad wrote:Hi friends,

I m new to the software world but was impressed how the open source community works.

I have installed XAMPP in d: and have followed thru the instructions. I am not able to understand where i should install opencats .
" Download and install XAMPP to c:xampp by following the directions provided on the XAMPP website. Very easy.
Download the OpenCats Resume Indexing Tools. Run the executable and accept the default install locations.
Optionally download 7Zip and install. This will allow you to extract the tar ball and gz files later. If you already have an extractor then you may skip this step.
Now you are ready to get OpenCats Download OpenCATS.9.1a
Open tarball (cats-0.9.1.tar.gz) using 7Zip and extract all files to C:xampphtdocsopencats Verify that there is a readme.txt file in the directory C:xampphtdocsopencats. If so you got it right :) "

i have extracted the opencats files to D:xampp/htdocs/

but still i am unable to find the landing page

http://localhost/opencats

Can anyone help ?

regards
Guru
Hey, this is the wrong thread for a brand new support question. However - extract the files to a directory within your webserver, and you will an index.php file. If you have a properly configured webserver and type in the URL for that php file, it will display. If you have further questions, lets take them to a new thread in 'Cries for Help' - then I can delete this reply
I'm fairly new with using OpenCATS but if you need help with typing, formatting or spell checking for errors I would help. Just let me know if there is anything you need help with. I'm not a technical person so I can't help there.
Thanks! There are plenty of things from a documentation standpoint you can help with, without even touching anything technical. For example, that gui backup process needs to be documented, frankly, anything and everything outside of the installation has plenty of room.

Also, any typos, grammar, or any other issues with current documentation that you notice, let me know and I'll correct them. So that is always helpful.

If you decide to stay with OpenCATS and simply feel like writing out a few paragraphs on pretty much whatever, I'll work it in to the documentation and everyone (including future users) will be grateful!

Let me know if you ever feel the urge to do that, and we can talk about whatever. Regardless, thanks!
I am definitely staying with OpenCATS. Helping with the documentation will also cement some of the processes in my mind for future reference :D

I will read over all of the current documentation and check for accuracy and grammatical errors.

I wouldn't mind writing up some instructions in my spare time also. Should I start with the GUI backup process or do you have any other suggestions?
I have quite a bit laid out. I'd be happy to send you some thoughts, misc bits if you want. Email me at opencatsdocs at gmail.com and I'll send you some thoughts. I also have a few ATS documentations from other systems I've looked at to give some sort of framework. Honestly, it's wide open. The only thing that I think is covered at this point is the installation. :) Whatever the heck you want to do!

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]

Export part in Job Order order search

Same problem as mine. Maybe you're right, I'll che[…]

The error message you're encountering indicates th[…]

Errors restoring mysqldump backup

doesnot work for me