General discussion of OpenCATS

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but keep comments directed to the topic at hand.
OpenCATS has documentation and walkthrough videos to help you get OpenCATS installed on whatever system you want to run it on. If you run Linux, there are some scripts available that will automate the entire process.

We now have MAC install documentation (thanks skrchnavy!!) It lacks pictures, but should get you through it.

Please read the documentation and view the videos first.

NOTE: The documentation is updated for OpenCATS 0.9.4, as well as the Linux install scripts. The videos have not been updated yet, so when you encounter a difference....go with what the documentation says.

Documentation: http://opencats-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bu67GG0R_k

Super fast, super easy install.... :)
Hi i try to do script install on ubuntu 16.04 but got the following msg. Please advice

Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 151.101.100.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|151.101.100.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2017-03-21 13:57:10 ERROR 404: Not Found.
trouble here when loading the Set up OpenCATS

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

localhost
Apache/2.4.23 (Win32) OpenSSL/1.0.2h PHP/5.6.28
Documentation updates/additions are underway!
The linux install script is updated and working for Ubuntu 18.04
The Windows install section is updated and current.
The shared hosting section is updated and current.
I have removed Debian and CentOS installation.
Will try to add/update for Ubuntu 20.04 within the next week.

Any feedback, thoughts, requests....or typo corrections would be greatly appreciated!
Installing OpenCATS on Ubuntu 18.04.2 - VPS environment

Hopefully this might help someone who also wants to install OpenCATS in a VPS environment.

I am not a Linux/Unix expert, so you might find some faster/easier way to install OpenCATS than what I did.

What I wanted to do was to eventually have OpenCATS running on a VPS environment and have SSL enabled.

I spent a fair amount of time downloading various versions of Ubuntu and running them in a VirtualBox so I could test and see what worked and what didn't.

I managed to install OpenCATS on Ubuntu 18.04.2.

Following the documentation for installing OpenCATS on Ubuntu 16.04 - https://opencats-documentation.readthed ... 16.04.html, the majority of the documentation is correct, expect for a few parts.

1. Setting up your MySQL/MariaDB database

CREATE USER ‘opencats’@’localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘databasepassword’;
mysql> CREATE DATABASE opencats;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON ‘opencats’.* TO ‘opencats’@’localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘databasepassword’;
mysql> exit;

I had issues running the above commands, as the "‘" threw out an error, so when I changed each of the commands with
"'" it worked, except for the "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON ‘opencats’.* TO ‘opencats’@’localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘databasepassword’;"

Here is what I changed:

mysql> CREATE USER 'opencats'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'databasepassword';
mysql> CREATE DATABASE opencats;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON opencats.* TO 'opencats'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'databasepassword';
mysql> exit;

Also, the command GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON 'opencats'.* TO 'opencats'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'databasepassword'; gave me an error as well, so I changed the 'opencats'.* to opencats.*

When creating and setting up the various folders/directories after the installation of OpenCATS, I had to create the folder opencats/upload and then change the access permissions using "sudo chmod 770 opencats/upload"

The rest of the installation and configuration went well.

I was able to upload a number of CVs (pdf and doc formats), and these imported without any issues.

So everything worked on the VirtualBox environment, now I needed to install Ubuntu 18.04.2 on a VPS environment, and the trial version that I was using gave me 7 days to do this in before I would be charged.

Now, I wanted to get my OpenCATS on VirtualBox copied over to the VPS, to do this I read through the "OpenCATS Backup/Restore and Upgrade Instructions-THIS SECTION INCOMPLETE! Documentation and managed to both export the Database and the Attachments folder from VirtualBox by using the following commands:

Exporting the Database:
1. sudo su
2. cd /var/tmp
3. mysqldump -u username -p database_name > databasefile.sql

Zipping the Attachments folder:
1. sudo su
2. cd /var/tmp
3. zip -r attachments.zip /var/www/html/opencats/attachments

I copied the databasefile.sql and the attachments.zip to my laptop and then using WinSCP, copied them to the VPS environment in /var/tmp.

I tried to import the database on the VPS environment got an error, so after looking up how I could import a database, I found the following worked:

1. sudo mysql -u root -p
within MariaDB, I ran:
2. drop database databasename;
3. create database databasename;
4. GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON opencats.* TO 'opencats'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'databasepassword';
5. exit;
6. sudo mysqldump -u username -p database_name < databasefile.sql

Now the database was imported, next to extract the attachments using the command

1. sudo su
2. cd /var/tmp
3. unzip attachments.zip -d /var/www/html/opencats/attachments
Note: You will be asked if you want to overwrite the files/folders

The last step was to have OpenCATS use SSL, so before I could enable SSL, I had to setup a DNS entry with my hosting provider, and waited 24 hours for DNS to be functioning.

Once DNS was setup and working, I followed this tutorial "How to secure Apache with Let's Encrypt on Ubuntu 18.04" -
https://www.arubacloud.com/tutorial/how ... 18-04.aspx, which worked a treat for me.

To test that OpenCATS is secure using the SSL, you can use the website: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html

I also changed the index.html file which is located in /var/www/html/ this is the standard Apache information file.

One last point, I got an error (something along the lines of permission issues) when I tried to add an attachment for a candidate, so I had to set the permissions (using WinSCP) for the attachments folder to 0775 and made sure that the permissions were set recursively. Then it worked.

That was it.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mak

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]

Export part in Job Order order search

Same problem as mine. Maybe you're right, I'll che[…]

The error message you're encountering indicates th[…]

Errors restoring mysqldump backup

doesnot work for me