General discussion of OpenCATS

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but keep comments directed to the topic at hand.
By angelom
Hello--

I'm fairly new to CATS...

I do have a functioning (?) system, which looks like it is a "pro" version (./modules/asp exists)...

I noticed that the app seems to be phoning home to http://www.catsone.com. Why is this? And, since we're now a forked, open source version, is there any violation in disabling any phone-home code?

Secondly, the resume parse seems to not work at all... I've seen reference to resfly.com being no longer available.. If that's the case, why did I install antiword, html2text, pdftotext, unpdf, etc. for? Are those used at all?

The Firefox Toolbar downloads, but again - phones home and bails out. Anyone have any workaround or recompile available for that?

I did get the Flash SWF Uploader to load, but it seems that an upload.php file is missing... anyone know where the source files for this can be found? (I pointed my server to direct requests for http://www.catsone.com to itself, and examined the 404 errors to see what it was phoning home to either GET or POST...)

Am I missing something, or was this conversion from open to closed source a bit of a sour pill??? The checks for versions, phoning home, etc. seems quite draconian.
By RussH
angelom wrote:Hello--

I'm fairly new to CATS...

I do have a functioning (?) system, which looks like it is a "pro" version (./modules/asp exists)...
Hiya!
I'm guessing you've downloaded opencats-0.9.1a which incorporates a few fixes to amend the 0.9.1 version of cats to be a more useable version (pre-populates the license request field etc
angelom wrote: I noticed that the app seems to be phoning home to http://www.catsone.com. Why is this? And, since we're now a forked, open source version, is there any violation in disabling any phone-home code?
No issue in disabling this code - if you want to post your modifications back to the subversion repository for opencats it'd be much appreciated. The Opencats version isn't *yet* forked, open-source, but we're working on it. The CPL still applies to OpenCATS; http://www.opencats.org/wiki/index.php? ... icense_FAQ
angelom wrote: Secondly, the resume parse seems to not work at all... I've seen reference to resfly.com being no longer available.. If that's the case, why did I install antiword, html2text, pdftotext, unpdf, etc. for? Are those used at all?
Resume parse via the upload doesn't work - yes this is because resfly was/is disabled unless you're using the hosted version of cats from catsone. There are some folks working on a replacement hosted service for resume parsing - watch this space! As for antiword, html2text, pdftotext etc - they are all required to enable the full-text searching of resume's which is still a feature. Either a resume attached to a candidate profile, or for resume's which are added as a 'bulk import'
angelom wrote:The Firefox Toolbar downloads, but again - phones home and bails out. Anyone have any workaround or recompile available for that?
The firefox toolbar - I don't have any issues with that.. maybe you can tell me the issues you see?

angelom wrote:I did get the Flash SWF Uploader to load, but it seems that an upload.php file is missing... anyone know where the source files for this can be found? (I pointed my server to direct requests for http://www.catsone.com to itself, and examined the 404 errors to see what it was phoning home to either GET or POST...)
It could be that the opencats-0.9.1a version has b0rked this in the changes from cats-0.9.1 Both are available to download from the downloads directory on this site - there should be minimal changes between them, so if you want to test, please go get the cats-0.9.1 version and report back!
angelom wrote:Am I missing something, or was this conversion from open to closed source a bit of a sour pill??? The checks for versions, phoning home, etc. seems quite draconian.
Yes, it was/is painful. There are some efforts to completely rewrite cats and free it - but I know it's tortuous work and we're always looking for more volunteers. If you're interested, conversations tend to happen via PM - but the development mailing list is a good place to start;
http://www.opencats.org/wiki/index.php? ... ailinglist

If you have thoughts on what needs to be added/removed for a new version or approaches to the development then that's a good place to start...

Otherwise - just post here or PM me!
By angelom
Hello Russ-

Without going into specific quotes from your reply (which, btw, was thorough and very informative)...

Re: Phoning home disabled: All I did was simply:

echo "127.0.0.1 http://www.catsone.com" >> /etc/hosts on the server where OpenCATS is served. This effectively makes any soap calls done by the PHP code take a trip to localhost instead of the CATSONE website. This allows me to analyze any 404s that the app is phoning home and looking for.

Obviously, there are numerous places within the source tree where "catsone.com" is found... I wasn't cozy with the codebase enough to acutally edit those portions.

Re: Uploader tool: The Flash Upload tool belonged in a directory underneath /modules/asp -- In my 0.9.1a install, this "asp" was a simple 0-byte file. Analyzing the 404 logs, I saw a request for /modules/asp/something.../MultiPOWupload.swf (the exact filename.swf is from memory so it may not be exact)... I googled that file and found that tool is a free upload control, so I snagged the .swf and placed it where the 404 was occurring. Voila... the SWF loaded and I got a nice upload tool. But, when the upload tool runs, it gives a 404 within the control saying that the upload.php it's looking for (presumably to handle the file contents and write the uploaded file somewhere on disk) is not found.

Are you saying this upload suite was in another version of the install archive? That would be great... I love user-friendly upload tools.

Thanks for your heads-up regarding the full-text abilities of antiword/etc... I thought those were for parsing, not realizing the difference between resfly.com and what those tools were used for.

The Firefox toolbar just simply did not work. It asks for username/password for my CATS installation... and then once I try to run it, it comes back and says that the professional version is required to use the toolbar.

If there's any useful mods I make, I will be sure to figure out how to submit them via SVN.

Thanks!
By Jos
The toolbar is not working if you do not have be given a pro key in the past. Russh has a pro key installed in his OS version. Thats why his toolbar is fully functional.

There are no hacks or mods to bypass the toolbar, it will always home in to check for the pro key
By angelom
Jos wrote:The toolbar is not working if you do not have be given a pro key in the past. Russh has a pro key installed in his OS version. Thats why his toolbar is fully functional.

There are no hacks or mods to bypass the toolbar, it will always home in to check for the pro key
Deconstructing the toolbar, there is a md5.js file in there -- apparently it's hashed javascript... And I don't know how to decipher md5 hashed javascript... But if anyone else knew how...
By RussH
angelom wrote:
Jos wrote:The toolbar is not working if you do not have be given a pro key in the past. Russh has a pro key installed in his OS version. Thats why his toolbar is fully functional.

Deconstructing the toolbar, there is a md5.js file in there -- apparently it's hashed javascript... And I don't know how to decipher md5 hashed javascript... But if anyone else knew how...
I don't think it's terribly complex - I could do a flash movie of it in action. There are firefox toobars that will run a mysql query against a database for you.
By akandels
I should point out that the Firefox toolbar is not and was never part of the open source release, it is a proprietary tool under copyright. The flash uploader is licensed by MultiPOW for www.catsone.com only (it is a paid tool which we purchased a license). Modifying the open source version to use either would be illegal.
By angelom
akandels wrote:I should point out that the Firefox toolbar is not and was never part of the open source release, it is a proprietary tool under copyright. The flash uploader is licensed by MultiPOW for http://www.catsone.com only (it is a paid tool which we purchased a license). Modifying the open source version to use either would be illegal.
Thanks, that's good info to know. I knew neither of those facts until your post. Looking further, the folks that make MultiPOW do offer a Free version which is limited to 10 files in a file selection to upload. For this particular usage, I would imagine that's sufficient.
By RussH
I'm surprised to read that licensed code was included in the (then) 'open-source' version - but I know that sometimes it's only after the fact that licensing issues get looked into. Perhaps it's only the server code that was licensed?

..but if there are any other aspects you're investigating or recoding - please push the changes back into SVN!
Hi,
Let me know if you are able to get a version of working toolbar .
I am not able to get an option of Add Canditate to CATS in my downloaded toolbar.
I was able to download the toolbar but it didnt have that option.
Can we enable something inside the code that will enable this option for us.
Or does any one has a working code available to download?

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]

Export part in Job Order order search

Same problem as mine. Maybe you're right, I'll che[…]

The error message you're encountering indicates th[…]

Errors restoring mysqldump backup

doesnot work for me