Moving my Database

Please describe the issue you're having
If you accept the answer, please mark the topic as [SOLVED] by clicking the tick.

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules
Just please remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but respect our space and keep your comments directed to the topic at hand.
Karol3509
what is two(2) plus three(3) ?: 5

Moving my Database

Post by Karol3509 » 12 Sep 2018, 15:11

Hello! I recently fixed (thank you) my opencats database . . . I also recently got a new computer that I would like to use instead of the one the database is currently on. Two questions:

#1 is it possible to move the database to a portable flash drive (if so how many GB would it need to be) I have about 400 records at the moment -that number should grow over time to several thousand. . .

#2 - HOW do I MOVE the database and ensure I get ALL of it.

Warning: extremely tech unsavvy - need clear and explicit instructions.

Thank you VERY much in advance!! You guys are awesome!

-K

RussH
Site Admin
what is two(2) plus three(3) ?: 5

Re: Moving my Database

Post by RussH » 17 Sep 2018, 16:24

Hi Karol,

firstly - no I wouldn't put it on removable storage - MySQL expects the databases to be in their standard location. Certainly possible - but it'd introduce allot of complexity and risk which I suspect you would prefer to avoid.

Personally - I'd backup the directory and database using the command-line and restore it on the new instance. I don't think there's any easy way to do htis through a GUI. I'll write-up the commands you need
RussH

Report your issues and feature requests;
https://github.com/opencats/opencats/issues

Please CLICK THE TICK to accept the answer!