Please describe the issue you're having
If you accept the answer, please mark the topic as [SOLVED] by clicking the tick.

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just please remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but respect our space and keep your comments directed to the topic at hand.
By road33
I am a long time linux user 25 years or so.

I can't get an upgraded version of cats to pass the install wizard. I am on Ubuntu 16.04.

Php7 is the default, I also have php5 installed.

I have verified my cats database user/login with cli.[

I have removed and installed php-mysql. I have noticed my other applications require php-mysqli to work correctly now. I admit I have not been following the reasons why this is the case. I do not see where I can change it for CATS. I suspect php7 requires mysqli.

I am not running the latest released version via git. The default branch you get when you don't tank any special action. Branch is master, updated today.
What are others doing with this?

Error Message:
Restart Install
Welcome to OpenCATS!
This process will help you set up the OpenCATS environment for the first time. Before we begin, OpenCATS needs to run some tests on your system to make sure that your web environment can support OpenCATS and is configured properly.

Test Results
PHP version is 7.0.8-0ubuntu0.16.04.3.
PHP.ini: magic_quotes_runtime is disabled.
PHP.ini: register_globals is disabled.
PHP MySQL extension (mysql) is not loaded.
Check your settings in php.ini.

Under certain Linux / BSD distributions, the PHP MySQL extension is a separate package.

Debian: Run "apt-get install php5-mysql" and restart your webserver.

FreeBSD: Install the php5-mysql port, or configure MySQL support in the php-extensions port and restart your webserver.
By RussH
Hi,

lightning fast reply :-)

at this time, I'm afraid PHP 7 is not supported.
By RussH
there have been a few tests run, the most recent of which is that it can be installed using PHP5 and then use PHP7 afterwards if we change to php-mysqli. However it's entirely not recommended until it's tested and supported.
By road33
Thanks for prompt response.

So how do you change it in the config file? I am willing to test prior to use. Our use case is very small, 1 person uses it (me).

I was trying to upgrade, but willing to reconsider this.

I have both 5 and 7 installed now, I am unsure how to force it to change from 5 to 7? I can write code, I can't find the area where the configuration occurs.

I suspect there will be a lot of people in the same boat soon if they upgrade.
By cptr13
I may be off base here, but if you're simply trying to change the php version used on Ubuntu, these instructions helped me get up and running.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/761713/h ... untu-16-04

Specifically:
1. Re-Install PHP 5.6

What worked for me was this guide: http://www.lornajane.net/posts/2016/php ... -on-ubuntu

Actually is not required to remove php7.0, you can install php5.6 together ( also because you will have dependency problem with phpmyadmin package that required php7.0)

Assuming libapache2-mod-php is a suitable way to enable PHP in Apache for you, you can proceed in this way:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install php7.0 php5.6 php5.6-mysql php-gettext php5.6-mbstring php-xdebug libapache2-mod-php5.6 libapache2-mod-php7.0
2. Switch PHP version:

From php5.6 to php7.0 :
Apache:
sudo a2dismod php5.6 ; sudo a2enmod php7.0 ; sudo service apache2 restart
CLI:
update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.0
from php7.0 to php5.6:
Apache:
sudo a2dismod php7.0 ; sudo a2enmod php5.6 ; sudo service apache2 restart
CLI:
update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php5.6

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]