Please describe the issue you're having
If you accept the answer, please mark the topic as [SOLVED] by clicking the tick.

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just please remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but respect our space and keep your comments directed to the topic at hand.
Hi All,

I've ran opencats on windows and ubuntu (both 0.9.1) environment for almost 2 years now, with the installations going smoothy.

Right now, I'm currently trying out CentOS for a 0.9.2 installation, and was surprised to get this error message during the Installation Wizard:

Directory ./attachments/ is not writeable (permissions: 0770).
Creating a file within ./attachments/failed. Check your permissions.
Directories cannot be created inside ./attachments//.
Configuration file ./config.php is not writable!
Please check your permissions and try again.
Creating a file within ./ failed!
Please check your permissions and try again.

Linux is something new to me, and the extent of my knowledge only goes so far as what I learned with Ubuntu. I.e. the user on Ubuntu is www-data, instead of apache.

the cats folder is saved on /var/www/html/

I've followed the instructions on the main site:
Code: Select all
chown apache:apache cats
chown -R apache:apache cats-x.x.x/
chmod 770 cats/attachments
any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
InstallWizard.png
InstallWizard.png (50.18 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
I haven't done the install on CentOS before; however you may just need to do a:
chmod +777 config.php

If you are just testing do a:
chmod -R +777 /var/www/html/cats/
(change the above to the location of the cats directory on your system)

.... this will give full permissions to everyone so not recommended for production.
hi guys

you've said you realise that the apache process on ubuntu is run by www-data and not apache - but then say you've run chown'ed the directory to apache:apache :-)

Let me know if you still have this problem and I'll tell you the ubuntu instructions.

Russ
RussH:

I have successfully installed Cats on an Ubuntu server, and I am aware that I should use www-data

I am now trying to install Cats on a CentOS server, using apache:apache, but it's giving me permission errors (see main post).

Thanks
ahh matt sorry I didn't read your post correctly!

yes as per the advice above, setting to 777 will work around this.

However - you've posted that you set the directory permissions to 770, but then the error report has said it's permissions 0770 - which is different. Can you change them to 770 and retry?

This is the "import from resume"[…]

EMAIL CONFIGURATION

Hi, the email configuration (including different[…]

as the title says...

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]