Please describe the issue you're having
If you accept the answer, please mark the topic as [SOLVED] by clicking the tick.

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just please remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but respect our space and keep your comments directed to the topic at hand.
By Karol3509
Hello! I recently fixed (thank you) my opencats database . . . I also recently got a new computer that I would like to use instead of the one the database is currently on. Two questions:

#1 is it possible to move the database to a portable flash drive (if so how many GB would it need to be) I have about 400 records at the moment -that number should grow over time to several thousand. . .

#2 - HOW do I MOVE the database and ensure I get ALL of it.

Warning: extremely tech unsavvy - need clear and explicit instructions.

Thank you VERY much in advance!! You guys are awesome!

-K
By RussH
Hi Karol,

firstly - no I wouldn't put it on removable storage - MySQL expects the databases to be in their standard location. Certainly possible - but it'd introduce allot of complexity and risk which I suspect you would prefer to avoid.

Personally - I'd backup the directory and database using the command-line and restore it on the new instance. I don't think there's any easy way to do htis through a GUI. I'll write-up the commands you need
By Karol3509
please assist me. . . I need instructions.... I thought I replied days ago but I guess it didn't upload. :-(

I really need to set opencats set up on my NEW machine and have access to the candidate records I have updated over the last few months if possible.

How do I do this? Move the database? export the data and import into a new database on the new machine? What can I do?

I need to get back to work!

Karol
By Karol3509
I mentioned a flash drive as a way to move the files between machines. . . not intending to run anything on it just transport.. . . I am NOT TECH SAVVY

What I want to do is set up a fresh copy on the new machine - and export the data from the original database and import it into the "new" one. HOW do I do that. I am trying to search for it in the documentation herein but not finding it thus far.

I really appreciate your assistance!

-thanks!
Karol
By Karol3509
oh i ended up installing a NEW instance and adding my old data via zip file. . . BUT the new one has the SAME problem the original one did. i came back to see if i could find the solution you gave me for it so I could apply it to this.

I hope I can find it!

Thanks!!

PS I had a tech person help me go through all that using your documentation as i am NOT computer savvy and have a huge fear of making things worse with my ignorance!

8-) :?

OpenCats is verry easy to back-up with a simple […]

Hi there. I'm not a software guy but I think it […]

Please suggest alternatives. Run 3

Mass Import of Resumes

Hi Kline, okay so you're getting into some awkwa[…]