General discussion of OpenCATS

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but keep comments directed to the topic at hand.
By skwdenyer
Well, I've been running 0.8.0 for some time. I thought it was about time I checked for new versions, hopped over to catsone, and, well, here we are. What a great shame. Once CATS had matured properly, and once we'd worked out how to use it properly, we'd have happily paid catsone for something, but not now - might as well invest in making CATS do what we _really_ want it to do instead, I guess.

I made a lot of changes to 0.7.1, and then re-integrated them with 0.8.0. I posted a lot of that information onto the old forums - it is such a shame that seems to be "lost". Somehow we get used these days to expecting some stuff to "always be there".

I know there have been some discussions with the Cognizo guys. Is there any chance that the old forums content could be archived somewhere (here, for instance)? Or is it gone forever? There was also some pretty good discussion about what Cognizo did/did not mean by some of the licence terms, which would be handy.

I must say, I was always a bit surprised by the CATS business model. I couldn't actually see a way for any UK-based recruiter to legally use the online service, which is the main reason we went with the OS version. Anyhow I'll watch what happens here, especially with regards to licensing, before deciding whether to release some of our changes and enhancements "into the wild" as it were. There's a lot of (paid for by us) work we'd got planned for this year, which we were going to donate "to the cause", but I'm certainly not keen on the idea that Cognizo could now take our work and incorporate it into the hosted versions of CATS without it coming back into the OS domain.

Anyhow, well done for setting up this forum! Can anyone point me to a blow-by-blow on the comparison between 0.8.0 and 0.9.1 - I read that there are less features in the later versions, but what actually changed? Thanks!
By skwdenyer
I've just been browsing the catsone site in a bit more detail, and looked at the release notes for 0.9.0 and 0.9.1. There are quite a few things on there that I know we fixed or developed in-house and which (I believe) we posted the fixes / enhancements for onto the catsone forums or directly to the Cognizo guys.

In fact the whole history of CATS seems to be littered with the OS community participants identifying bugs, fixing them, suggesting and discussing changes, and so on, only for them to get wrapped up into the code and taken back into closed source. I do think, on that view, it is just a little bit rich of Cognizo to claim they got nothing back. And in fact the Professional On-Site edition would have been something we'd have been interested in, had it now been available. But hey-ho, sometimes even the best-intentioned of people get lost seeing the value they have...
By RussH
Hiya,

glad you managed to find the forums - as you say with the complete loss of the 'old' forums, then it's been difficult to get the word out about the state of the 'Open Source' project... which continues here entirely legally I might add!

I'm just setting up the 0.8.0 and the 0.9.1 branches in Subversion - (had a slight hiccup which saw the website go down for about ten minutes last night!) ...and you'll be free to contribute to the code, or to maintain your own branch of CATS right here. As I've said repeatedly - this is a community effort, I've tried to gather the community here - but from now on - CATS is what we make of it, unless you want to purchase the hosted service from Cognizo... Therefore feel free to dive in, and do as much (or as little!) as you like. It's up to us all, now.

Anyway - good to see someone else from the UK!
By skwdenyer
Hi Russ

Thanks for the response to my (rather rambling) posts. At least you've done a good job on getting Google to see this site!

Do you know if any of the old forum content might be obtainable to archive here? Also do you know where I can get a run-down on the pros (and cons) of 0.9.0/0.9.1 vs 0.8.0?

FWIW on the licence issue, I believe is is fair game to rename the software, but the attribution clauses must remain. However I see no (legal) problem with altering the copyright statement to something like "HATS v 0.8.0, (c) The HATS Project 2008, Based on work (c) 2005-7 Cognizo Technologies, inc, Powered by CATS" or something like that.

Silas
By RussH
skwdenyer wrote:
Do you know if any of the old forum content might be obtainable to archive here?
FWIW, the google cache of the old forums is slowly expiring... The catsone.com cache has gone, but the mirror site that Cognizo maintained at snaphr.com still has some info - so use this at the start of your google search ( site:snaphr.com ) and then whatever terms your looking for.. you may have some luck (so long as you click on the cached pages)

Alternatively, there's still an older copy archived at the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/200708250856 ... com/forum/

Happy Hunting!
By asimbaig
skwdenyer wrote:I've just been browsing the catsone site in a bit more detail, and looked at the release notes for 0.9.0 and 0.9.1. There are quite a few things on there that I know we fixed or developed in-house and which (I believe) we posted the fixes / enhancements for onto the catsone forums or directly to the Cognizo guys.

In fact the whole history of CATS seems to be littered with the OS community participants identifying bugs, fixing them, suggesting and discussing changes, and so on, only for them to get wrapped up into the code and taken back into closed source. I do think, on that view, it is just a little bit rich of Cognizo to claim they got nothing back. And in fact the Professional On-Site edition would have been something we'd have been interested in, had it now been available. But hey-ho, sometimes even the best-intentioned of people get lost seeing the value they have...

NO you are wrong. Completely wrong.

We always made sure we didn't incorporate any code from any one without signing an ICL (Individual Contribution License) Agreement. Please get your facts straight. Everyone submits bugs, even for commercial software, even to Microsoft. The bugs rarely came with a solution. I know it because I read every post over the last 3 years. We fixed or tried to fix every bug ourselves. Its possible that someone suggested some obvious code change. We reciprocated by giving them software for free.....30,000 copies used in 120 countries. What else do we give????

" it is just a little bit rich of Cognizo to claim they got nothing back" <--- I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on CATS. I cant go in to details but suffice to say, paying a team of programmers for 3 years, all I ever got was a check for $200 from Jos Bodewes in Summer of 2007. My cost to run CATS team was over $20,000/month!

We were getting upwards of 100 emails, calls, instant chat requests, and forum posts for features and help. It was impossible to continue.

Yes, when I say, I did'nt get anything back from the community, thats exactly what it means.
There are quite a few things on there that I know we fixed or developed in-house and which (I believe) we posted the fixes / enhancements for onto the catsone forums or directly to the Cognizo guys..
Really. which ones? We gave credit to everyone whenever it was due.

Asim
952-232-0880 x101
asim@catsone.com
By asimbaig
skwdenyer wrote:Hi Russ

FWIW on the licence issue, I believe is is fair game to rename the software, but the attribution clauses must remain. However I see no (legal) problem with altering the copyright statement to something like "HATS v 0.8.0, (c) The HATS Project 2008, Based on work (c) 2005-7 Cognizo Technologies, inc, Powered by CATS" or something like that.

Silas
Correct. You can rename CATS to whatever you would like. As long as the terms of Exhibit B of CATS Public License (http://www.catsone.com/cpl/CPL.html) and MPL in general are followed, you should be fine.

Asim
952-232-0880 x101
asim@catsone.com
By Jos
Asim,

Any change you could hook us up here with the data of the old forum, there has been documented a lot of info which could by usefull here.

Jos
By skwdenyer
asimbaig wrote:
skwdenyer wrote:I've just been browsing the catsone site in a bit more detail, and looked at the release notes for 0.9.0 and 0.9.1. There are quite a few things on there that I know we fixed or developed in-house and which (I believe) we posted the fixes / enhancements for onto the catsone forums or directly to the Cognizo guys.

NO you are wrong. Completely wrong.

We always made sure we didn't incorporate any code from any one without signing an ICL (Individual Contribution License) Agreement. Please get your facts straight. Everyone submits bugs, even for commercial software, even to Microsoft. The bugs rarely came with a solution. I know it because I read every post over the last 3 years. We fixed or tried to fix every bug ourselves. Its possible that someone suggested some obvious code change. We reciprocated by giving them software for free.....30,000 copies used in 120 countries. What else do we give????
Hi there. I'm sorry that I seem to have caught a nerve. For the record I did NOT set out to suggest that you were somehow exploiting others' code contributions. Anybody who contributed code had to sign an ICL, and that was very obvious. However - genuinely - are you saying that none of the discussion and suggestions on the forums were useful in terms of refining the offering? And how much of the community involvement would have come without the OS element? It seemed pretty clear when the code was opened that Cognizo was doing this to widen the audience for CATS. That seems to have worked, you now have lots of users, and now - it seems, but see below - that the OS element is no longer needed for traffic generation.

The software world is littered with companies who opened the code for a while, got lots of people excited, didn't really get the community involved with code development, but nonetheless got excellent testing and feedback from OS users, and then closed the source or fell back to SAAS once the code was mature. On the face of it CATS is in this camp, which is a shame. The CATS licence added to that feeling. Hence I suspect most of your OS users would just view it as free (as in beer) software. This is a common problem with what I call "sorta open source" companies. The source may be open, but if the development programme isn't and the IP in contributions goes to a private company to close as they see fit, you only get a "sorta open source community" and don't win.

It is hard to interpret the bare notice on the website or the wholesale dumping of the forums and the associated community as anything positive. Had your professional on-site edition been available, I'd have bought it, just as I'm about to buy a whole bundle of licences for Zimbra having used it in production in OS form for a while now. For the record, I can't use the hosted version as it would be illegal under UK law. The same is true for (probably) most of your UK and EU users (although they may simply ignore that aspect of the UK Data Protection Act or corresponding legislation enacting the provisions of the EU Data Protection Directive - their choice).

The real shame of this? The recruitment world is equally littered with, frankly, crap software. CATS is a breath of fresh air. But I believe Zimbra provides a model to follow to crack this market. Open source still is a great approach, although I note that you've now changed your marketing.

In the OS world, splitting the OS product off into a separate sub-brand, with a separate website, the forums, and so on and a "no support, sorry" policy would have been an interesting approach. To dump a community wholesale seems, frankly, to reinforce the belief - however unfounded - that Cognizo wasn't really trying to make OS work as a collaborative concept so much as a marketing tool. For that, at one level, I'm very grateful - we've got a great codebase to build on.
asimbaig wrote:" it is just a little bit rich of Cognizo to claim they got nothing back" <--- I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on CATS. I cant go in to details but suffice to say, paying a team of programmers for 3 years, all I ever got was a check for $200 from Jos Bodewes in Summer of 2007. My cost to run CATS team was over $20,000/month!

We were getting upwards of 100 emails, calls, instant chat requests, and forum posts for features and help. It was impossible to continue.

Yes, when I say, I did'nt get anything back from the community, thats exactly what it means.
I understand the difficulties of running an OS initiative. I never claimed it was easy. However, with respect, (and clearly I'm viewing it from the outside) your business model didn't seem to be directed towards actually making any money from OS. Only at the last was there a professional on-site edition (bear in mind that precious few in, say, the UK - where I am - could legally use your US-hosted edition). I certainly didn't see any evidence of a consulting offering, a (paid) support operation for the OS community, and so on. Now I see that your site promotes a "one size fits all", "no consulting fees" approach. OK, that's fine. But are you suggesting that the OS approach got you no traffic and no sales? All of a sudden CATS is no longer the OS ATS, it is the world's most popular ATS. But clearly that happened in spite of the OS approach, not because of it?

I run several businesses. I have spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on new businesses. I do it in the expectation of a return. I imagine you do, too. You clearly get a return from your hosted edition, you might (if you'd done it enough) have got a return from a professional on-site edition. History suggests that a properly-orchestrated OS effort can result in plenty of return, too. However you've firmly nailed your colours to the SAAS mast. OK, that's fine, too. And you seem to have a lot of users. If even 10% of those 15k recruiters are paying you $29/month then you're grossing $45k/month, or $540k/year. That's a good business, and you're making your money back. You obviously believe, with hindsight, that the OS approach brought you none of your paying customers. That's your perogative.

I had developers working on our CATS implementation. Since there didn't seem to be a roadmap which we could engage with, nor a mechanism for contributing code in a collaborative manner, nor a guarantee that what was written today would still work tomorrow since successive versions broke work we'd done previously, we rather gave up on keeping tabs on the official effort. That was a shame. Since, for us, nothing earlier than 0.8.0 was really viable as a working (as opposed to proof-of-concept) system, we had to do that work. We ported all of our changes to 0.8.0, and then kept developing in-house. Due to licensing, we can't make any money from most of that investment unless we can "modularise" it. We were going to start doing that once CATS reached a (presumably stable) 1.0 release, but since there's no CATS community any longer and no on-site offering of any kind, we can't promote our modules to that market. In that regard, I guess dumping the OS stuff, the forums, the community looks like a smart move in terms of making sure nobody else can make any money from CATS, and stopping those of us who invested real money into developing for CATS don't have a platform from which to pass comment.

Perhaps this site can ignite the spark of widespread contribution? Who knows? I still can't buy seats on your hosted edition and operate legally, so I'll have to stick with my - heavily customised - OS CATS. And I doubt you're going to be offering a marketplace for third-party modules to be plugged into the live running (are you still running everyone on the same instance?) hosted version, so that's that.
asimbaig wrote:
There are quite a few things on there that I know we fixed or developed in-house and which (I believe) we posted the fixes / enhancements for onto the catsone forums or directly to the Cognizo guys..
Really. which ones? We gave credit to everyone whenever it was due.

Asim
952-232-0880 x101
asim@catsone.com
I would have to look back at what the developers did - we haven't done any new work for about 6 months now. Certainly looking back at my development policy, it was that fixes to the codebase should be contributed back but I wasn't the review point for the code. I know I personally posted code early on in the work for, for example, allowing the order of custom fields to be changed, allowing the order of all fields to be changed, and so on. I didn't do it for recognition, I wouldn't really care if you picked it up or not, and in any case there wasn't a reliable roadmap to "plug it into." I did it in case anybody else would find it useful, and I would do so again.

The whole thing reminds me a little of a piece of UK-based software called Convea from 2002/3 or so. It was a fabulous exercise in DHTML scripting, delivering a fully-windowed interface with much of Outlook's functionality in a web solution years before Web 2.0, AJAX etc became buzzwords. It was an ASP solution. They tried to sell it as enterprise software, and didn't do so well. So they open-sourced it (except that you couldn't make money hosting it, any code contributions were owned by the publishers, and so on). Suddenly there was a community, lots of people eager to participate, and some very frazzled developers who couldn't cope with the support side because - to be frank - they hadn't thought through how to build and run an OS business, didn't have a mechanism for getting community developers to actually contribute, and so on. And no real companies wanted to contribute because of the licence conditions. So they pulled the source and published a very bitter post about how it just wasn't fair that people expected software for free. The last I heard they had sold it for a pittance and the new owner was trying to take on Outlook again.

My point is simple. I wish you luck with your SAAS model. It is a perfectly honourable business. I am frustrated by the whole OS thing only because CATS could have been one of THE great OS killer apps, but the business model didn't seem to be geared to actually making money from OS software, and hence, err, it seems it didn't.
By asimbaig
I made a lot of changes to 0.7.1, and then re-integrated them with 0.8.0.....
Silas,

Please read CPL section 3.2 Availability of Source Code

The heart of CPL is the requirement that modifications of the original or modified CPL code must be released under CPL.

I have noted your comments here and have added you to the list of people who have moded CATS. I expect you to please post all your modifications on your website or this forum. Everyone should have access to this code for free.

Failure to do so immediately, will be a violation of CPL and MPL in general. We need to see all your modifications to CATS available as a zip or tar file easily available on your website. I will appreciate that you follow legality and spirit of open source in general and our license in particular. This will also set an example for others to follow.

My team is monitoring http://www.internationalsearchandrescue.com/ and http://www.turns.net for updated CATS code. Also kindly make sure that the modified CATS code is posted in its entirety and not in patches/snipppets.

Thanks,

Asim
952-232-0880 x101
asim@catsone.com

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]

Export part in Job Order order search

Same problem as mine. Maybe you're right, I'll che[…]

The error message you're encountering indicates th[…]

Errors restoring mysqldump backup

doesnot work for me