General discussion of OpenCATS

Moderators: RussH, cptr13

Forum rules: Just remember to play nicely once you walk through the door. You can disagree with us, or any other commenters in this forum, but keep comments directed to the topic at hand.
By RussH
I was seeing if I could identify who CATS users are so that we can contact them - this search on google seems to produce a good result;

+"Powered by cats" -feline -site:catsone.* -tikka -toast -canine

Russ
By montievv
count me into this list... have been using cats since 0.6 release

can post about challenges faced by us technology wise and how we overcame them... i.e. if these kind of discussions are encouraged. I think the real challenge here is building the open source community from scratch. Can put in some time if required.

Vivek
By RussH
montievv wrote:count me into this list... have been using cats since 0.6 release

can post about challenges faced by us technology wise and how we overcame them... i.e. if these kind of discussions are encouraged. I think the real challenge here is building the open source community from scratch. Can put in some time if required.

Vivek
Hiya Vivek - yep that's the challenge. The restrictive license and the user community is not a natural fit for a open source community - but I'll do what I can to facilitate the discussion. If there's anything you can do then feel free to propose it.. we'll only continue this effort by our own efforts!

RussH
By Jos
Hey Russ,

Correct me if I am wrong. I thought we did not had to bother with the GPL licence anymore since catsone stopped to develop the OS version ?

btw, great that you managed a high google ranking in a few weeks :P
By RussH
Jos wrote:Hey Russ,

Correct me if I am wrong. I thought we did not had to bother with the GPL licence anymore since catsone stopped to develop the OS version ?
Unfortunately (in this case!), the original CATSONE developers own their own code - and unless they signed their code over to GPL, we have to stick with the original license that it was developed under. Any new code could be developed (as per Helphands example http://www.notsofaqs.com/catsdoc/doku.php with the rider below;
CATS is licensed under the CATS Public License by Cognizo Technologies, Inc. Any original work by the author, Scott Leighton, posted at this site is licensed under the GPL.
I'd be surprised if the original developers released the code into the GPL - as they're still selling CATS under the SaaS model, so they expect to be making money from having proprietary control over the code. For the moment - anything that's an enhancement/change to the original code will have to fall under the Cats Public License - but if there is an entirely new module or add-on, that simply inter-operates with CATS, then it can be licensed under a more open license (such as the GPL)

It's worth noting that I raised this with Asim via email - and he wanted the CPL honoured - therefore not releasing the original code under the GPL.

RussH
By MePHiSTY
Hi!
There are many software under license MPL and has an entire community's support.
The question is the intention of each on the CATS.

I have intention to offer the CATS for customers who already have,
Sell support services, installation, and even indicate the Cognizo to your provider.
I have no intention to make money being a provider of CATS,

Until that point there isnt a violation on the license

Imagine the following scenario, we created a fork of cats, developed new modules,
Fix bugs.
Will create incompatibilities with the version of Cognizo.

Or Cognizo will have two versions of CATS (hosted and MPL)
Or they will (un)merge those versions.

That all will depend on how the project MPL develop.

The main question is:
Some of us see problem in the Cognizo to have exclusivity in the exploitation of the SaaS model ?

Particularly, I do not see any problem.
And if someone see this problem, and do not want nobody has exclusivity on its module or addon.
Just choose (create) a license that does not allow this operation.

Hug.
By RussH
Yes - I wouldn't expect Cognizo to offer support by default for any forked version of CATS. If someone wanted to offer complete support for a forked version, then I'm sure that's feasible. Right now the license prohibits offering SaaS.
By MePHiSTY
RussH wrote:Yes - I wouldn't expect Cognizo to offer support by default for any forked version of CATS. If someone wanted to offer complete support for a forked version, then I'm sure that's feasible. Right now the license prohibits offering SaaS.
There is no official support, and anyone can give support to the CATS. The license does not talk about exclusivity in support.

Items that are exclusive of Cognizo are:
"Time-sharing, outsourcing, service bureau, application service provider
Or managed service provider environment. "

Or among these items already exists the concept of support included?

Example: My client wishes that I install and train employees in the use of CATS.
This type of operation is exclusive of Cognizo?

I think not.

[]
By RussH
I entirely agree - if you want to offer such services, I suspect there may be quite a few people interested...

Post them to the 'Cats Professional Services' section of the forum..
By MePHiSTY
Hi Russh !

About the services of support was only one example.

Have the users to exchange tips and help, now justifies the existence of the forum.
But I (like many) looking for help to continue developing the CATS.
And make clear the issues about the license is prior to any effort that anyone could have
relationship with the contributions of code.

It would be interesting, determine whether it is feasible to accept the license in the way it is.

If not, could open another project.
I think we have people ready to contribute in an GPL project

[]S,
Last edited by MePHiSTY on 24 Apr 2008, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

It's essential to keep these synchronized to ensur[…]

Export part in Job Order order search

Same problem as mine. Maybe you're right, I'll che[…]

The error message you're encountering indicates th[…]

Errors restoring mysqldump backup

doesnot work for me